Jan 25, 2017

Interview with Mat Colwell

Mat Colwell
Mat and I have been friends for quite some time. We've played in a few bands and had some genuinely amazing conversations as friends. He's one of the most talented song writers, lyricists, and guitar players I've ever had the luxury of even being in the same room with.

What was the last album you listened to?
 Coheed & Cambria's In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3. I was just reflecting on the fact that I only have one band tattoo, and it's the key-work symbol from Coheed and I realized how proud I am to have them on me forever because I genuinely enjoy their entire catalog. In Keeping Secrets was a really important record for me in high school that helped me fall in love with progressive music, and listening to it today is still just as good as back then.

How often do you read this blog?
Oh fuck off.

What makes for an interesting interview to read or watch?
I want the questions to be well-thought-out and the interviewee to want to engage in a dialogue about whatever is being asked. It should feel natural. Like peering in on two friends discussing creativity or life philosophies and how those things are reflected in their work. I want to feel like there is a larger insight about the world and the interviewee being presented.

I know for a while there you were pretty unmotivated with music. What lights that fire again for you?
Tragic life events or huge swings in my emotions. I need to be feeling something deeply to get writing. When I'm numbed up from an experience or feeling like a sloth because nothing is grabbing my attention in the rest of my life, I can't translate that into music. I need my own life experiences to push me to want to create. I'm a gear slut, too, so sometimes new gear or software makes me want to put something together, too.

How important are lights and production to a live show?
Also fuck off here, too.

What's the last book you re-read?
Re-read? Catch-22. That's the only book I ever really re-read. I'm currently reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods and Nick Bostrom's Superintelligence. The former being a novel that touches on the mythos of American culture and our ancient past while the latter is an exploration on computer intelligence and the, in my opinion, inevitable coming of the singularity.

Do you have a favorite album artwork artist?
I'm not huge on album art, but I'm a big fan of Esao Andrews, the guy who does the Circa Survive artwork.

What song best defines where you were at in 2016 lyrically?
Pinegrove's "Old Friends." I've spent a lot of the last few years neglecting the people I care about because of my own insecurities and ego and "Old Friends" has been a big part in helping me heal and remember to make time for those people.

What's a band you LOVE the music to, but you cannot stand the lyrics/singer?
 I don't really have an answer for this one. I'm pretty sensitive to singers, so if I don't like the singer, I normally can't get into the band. I like a lot of rap with crappy lyrics (Lookin' at you, Young Thug), but that's about it.



-Novak