Jan 30, 2017

Interview with Burger

 
Friend, roommate, and long time off and on band mate Burger puts down the barbells to answers a few questions for the blog.

Keep an eye on the "interviews" tab off to the right for what will hopefully turn into a plethora of various musical styles and personalities. 

What was the last band that came out within the last few years that blew you away?
I would have to go with Blind Justice from New Jersey. They're not "new" new, but new enough to an aging hardcore dude like myself. They capture elements of anger mixed with hilarity. Super abrasive, locked-in tunes with the best of the old school riffs while still not negating heavy parts for the kids. Just a bunch of filthy Jersey dudes that like to skate and be assholes. Nothing not to love.


What's a band you listen to regularly most people wouldn't expect you to?
I actually really like The Temptations. I will go days and days of listening to their greatest hits on repeat without interruption. They flawlessly translate a message in every song. And they really force the listener to believe what they're saying.


What was the last album that really let you down?
In 2014 Crowbar released "symmetry in black"... And it sounded like the band collectively decided to get their nuts removed. That same full sound was there... Slow and steady. But the aggression seemed to be traded in for sappy, sorrowful bullshit. Album sucked.
 Who is your favorite bassist?
Dave Johnson. He played bass for Cleveland metal legends, Ascension. His style of play gives you the chills. That band flipped the "usual" roles of guitar and bass and it worked amazingly. Crazy leads, fills and tones. That dude fuckin rules.


What's the most important ingredient for playing in a band with someone?  
Without a doubt... Being able/willing to put yourself in the other members' shoes. Don't be a tyrant and don't be a bump on a log. Collective contribution is key.


Do you have a format you prefer when listening to your favorite music?
I prefer Spotify. The fact that it's only available on shuffle keeps me from getting too stuck in a rut of listening to the same 3 songs over and over. I also like CDs... So I can listen to the same 3 songs over and over.


Do you have a go to album to calm you down?
Absolutely. Monolord - "empress rising". I'm new to this band, but something about them takes you to a place way deeper inside yourself. For example, on the surface I'll be gritting my teeth over finances. Put on Monolord and my point of view just flips itself. I get entranced by the layers and repetitive nature of this band.


What is the next show you're looking forward to?  
United Blood Fest in Richmond, VA. Two full days of heavy hitters. Both old and new. So pumped.

Plenty more interviews coming. Now buy me food and call me pretty.


-Novak