Apr 28, 2015

Interview With Myles

Myles McDonald
So to keep the interviews going, I sent my good friend Myles a few questions to answer. Myles and I made music together for years growing up. We played our first set of shows together and showed each other tons of bands and movies. Side note: Myles, Chislow, and I all got matching tattoos about 10 years ago too. He got a knife, Mike got a fork, and I have a spoon. I also really like mashed potatoes. 


What was the very first band that really grabbed your attention and why?
The very first band that grabbed my attention was The Clash, with their music video for “Should I Stay or Should I Go.”  This wasn’t my favorite Clash song, but it grabbed my attention…and it was the first Clash song that I had ever heard.  After that as birthday gift, I was given a cassette tape of their album “Combat Rock,”  and felt a strong connection to their sound and versatility.  At this time I believe I really discovered a love for music.  In fact, I still listen to that album quite regularly.

What band has a close to perfect discography?
Close to perfect for me would be the Velvet Underground’s studio album discography from ’67 to ’70.
They had earlier releases that are amazing as well, but their 4 albums they have completed are all masterpieces that have influenced myself, and almost every band I listen to today.

Is being sexy easy?
Its rather difficult to drug all of your friends to get them to believe and follow certain things you want them to, but it pays off in the end.


Does lighting have any impact on the room you're writing in?
Not really…  If its really dark I have trouble reading music or lyrics sheets, and my handwriting is messy.  I have very poor vision in the dark.

What is your most listened to album?
I have listened to Billy Bragg’s “Don’t Try This At Home” thousands of times.“London Calling” by the Clash and “Tim” by the Replacements countless times as well. I can listen to them over and over again.

What's one band I turned you on to that you fell in love with?
Without you even having to sell them to me, and just having them play in the background… I’m a big Depeche Mode fan because of you. Especially their first album “Speak & Spell.” That one is a masterpiece.









Who's a musician you would be "star struck" meeting?
Bill Clinton.  I missed my chance when he came to Parma Pierogies in 1992.

Is it more exciting working by yourself or with a band lately?
Lately its been more productive working by myself in a recording aspect…  but much more exciting working with friends just jamming and coming up with weird stuff.  I do think I put a little more work into writing song structures when working by myself… I like the natural changes that evolve when playing with friends.  Definitely, Definitely more drone music when jamming with friends.

What's the biggest turn off when you're playing with a musician or band?
I can’t stand anyone with a big ego.  I generally don’t like being around people who think highly of themselves.  I prefer depressed people who hate themselves and don’t think anything good will ever happen.

Favorite piece of gear?
My martin om acoustic.  It plays well and has held up to my poor handling for many years now.

Do you have a favorite format to listen to music on?
No favorite.  Whatever works.

What was the most recent album that came out you anticipated the release of?
2013 was a good year.  The Warlocks - Skull Worship,  Camera Obscura - Desire Lines, and Vampire Weekend - Modern Vampires of the city.  Probably to my own faults I haven’t listened to anything newer…Though around the time these albums came out I had a mission to find new music.  I had never been a Vampire Weekend fan, nor do I like their other stuff quite as much, but I really liked their album Modern Vampires of the city.  Camera Obscura is a great band from Scotland that really did a good job on Desire Lines…I like every song on the album.  And the Warlocks albums is full of surreal face melting sounds, and whimsical lyrics.


Now go pour a bowl of chili on someone you don't like, or go back to pissing your pants.   
-Novak