Apr 13, 2015

Interview with Joe Reed. Part 2

Way back when, Joe and I used to be somewhat active with awkward video blogs, interviews, and other posts no one reads. I asked Joe a set of questions while we were playing in a band together and I had the itch to scrape through his hairy head again. 


When I sent you the link to your old interview, what was your reaction to your answers back then?
Joe: I wasn't necessarily surprised or blown away by them. That was an exciting and fun time, it's unfortunate it ended abruptly but the project I'm currently singing for To Dust I feel is the best representation of my personal tastes musically. We have a split 7" with Bent Sea on Give Praise Records that should be coming out in the next couple of months.
Has having a kid made any changes with your views on music? 
Joe: Having a son was definitely a life changing event and thus far the best thing I've done with my life but as far as music is concerned the only difference is my Spotify shuffle goes from Brutal Truth to Classic Baby Lullabies. 


What's the most exciting genre of music to you right now?
Joe: As of right now the most exciting genre of music to me is synth pop / industrial. I recently came up on a deal for a keyboard / synthesizer that I'm getting in June for my birthday so I hit you up for some recommendations on good synth music and I was blown away by most of what you sent. Gary Numan is heavier than any band going right now.

Have you gained any interest yet in being anything other than a singer in a band?
Joe: I'd really like to do sampling or synth / noise in a band at some point. I don't really even know what that means or entails but I think that's what's exciting and appealing about the idea. I really would like to do something maybe like Zombi with you Novak, just drums and synths.

Who is the last band you saw live that blew you away? 
Joe: The last band that really blew me away live was Full of Hell a little over a year ago. They played the Foundry in front of maybe 25 people and by the end of their brief set the crowd was backed up against the wall begging for mercy. It was loud, pissed, violent, and abrupt.


Favorite Cleveland venue and why? 
Joe: Now That's Class for a few reasons, primarily because it's one of the few punk rock / underground spots devoid of any inclination that they will ever cater to the gentrified Ohio City crowd. Also the venue (specifically Paul) treats bands with respect, keeps show prices fair, puts on local shows regularly. Now That's Class really is the best thing to happen to the Cleveland music scene in a long time.
If Kurt didn't die in 94, what would he be doing in 2015? 
Joe: I firmly believe that Nirvana would have broken up in mid 1995 and that Kurt would have either joined Earth with Dylan Carlson or started a ghost solo career. I don't believe that any project with Michael Stype that would have garnered major label attention would have appealed to Kurt in the 90s. Fast forward to 2015 and I think Kurt is painting and not involved in music at all as of the early 2000s. Kurt famously scoffed at seeing The Who live on TV and said that he never understood being that into playing in a band nearing his 50s so I think by this time he would be wowing us in other ways.


You've told me before that the project you're in doesn't want to play Cleveland. Why?
Joe:  It's not that we don't want to play Cleveland, it just isn't feasible. To Dust is comprised of myself, Tom Haywood, and Zach Gibson of Mutilated and a host of other bands. Since the band is spread out all over Ohio and Michigan, we are working on putting a record out, and Tom is starting two labels right now (Redefining Darkness and Seeing Red respectively), it is simply impractical for us to get everyone together to play local shows frequently. Perhaps things will change in the future but right now we have other things we are focused on.
Do you have any pre-show Rituals?
Joe: Typically I smoke a cig or several half cigs, drink a few beers, and pace around which, if you know me, isn't a ritual as much as an all day thing for me. I do try to spend a lot of time by myself before I go on stage. I'm either alone or people watching before I play. I guess in my mind I'm sizing up the people I'll be yelling at momentarily since I've always viewed my relationship with the audience as adversarial. I never wanted to be some happy go lucky rock guy...I wanted to be the guy who looked like he hates you on stage.
Any updates on the Severed Remains reunion? 
Joe:The Severed album is a slow work in progress with really no exact deadline. There will be a second record and Tom Haywood (also of To Dust) and Michael Wilson (ex-Aborted) are in the early writing stages but at this point it is hardly a reunion since the only original members are myself and Anthony. Since everyone who was originally involved backed out we decided to do another record because we want to. Shows? Merch? Don't know at this point but I'll let all four of you who are interested know in a group text.
What's the first album you will show your son when he can play on his own?
Joe: If Dominick will learn anything from me he will learn to think for himself, a valuable lesson music helped teach me. I won't play him anything, he'll know where the records are or how to find them himself.