Apr 28, 2015

Albums of the Week

Hi. 
Here are some things my hearing holes have found appealing this week.

Melvins- Houdini
This album has been posted on this blog by me more times than Chick Filet hates gay people. Anyone who says The Melvins are a sludgy band can suck a foot. The Melvins played a large role, but they are one of the most consistently eclectic bands. I know all bands try and "mature" throughout albums, but these dudes do it in extreme ways. This particular album just so happens to be the one most people know, so they associate the rest of their discography to be this sound. 

 Whirr- Pipe Dreams 
Anyone who said  they're tired of the whole "shoegaze" thing coming back in style is getting a text from in all caps lock. A perfect example of music your bones like just as much as your ears. My Bloody Valentine worship from members always involved with cool projects. Get into it! 

Tin Machine- Self Titled
Obviously Bowie has to be in here somewhere if I'm posting this, right? Tin Machine was not a Bowie album, but an actual band with the intent to reinspire Bowie's solo career in the late 80's. In interviews, members have said the music they were creating sounded like it was played in a tin machine, hence the name. I can hear the excitement in Bowie's voice he had during this project. In my opinion, this album saved his career and life by inspiring him in many ways.

Clint Mansell- The Fountain
This album is an old favorite. Clint Mansell is a producer and composer of various musical treats. One time member of Pop Will Eat Itself, he continued on to do several film scores. You can set me on fire and I wouldn't even open my eyes if the track "Stay With Me" was on. The new house I moved into has a piano I've been playing the shit out of lately, and this album is always a main source of inspiration for that. 

The Meters- Struttin' 
The Meters are the Kings of groove. Chris showed me these guys about a year ago and I've been hooked ever since. Doxa recently played a show near Detroit over the weekend and this is all we jammed the entire ride there. Mat was bummed.



-Novak