Dec 2, 2021

Current Plays

    Hi. It's been a while since I've wasted my own time in here. I haven't been sleeping very well lately and I really like these grapes I'm eating. Samoa is bummed I keep typing because she really likes my robe. Ok, now that we've got the small talk out of the way, here's what I've been listening to lately.

Belong: Common Era 

This is my current obsession the last few days. No stereo can play this album loud enough. At very first it sounds ugly and loud, but it quickly changes to gorgeous and complex. Each track announces itself pretty much instantly with all layers and instruments at once, which is a little odd for this style of music. It's mixed in such an interesting way for this style of music too. All the noise and abstractions are right up front, but the low end is just at the right volume to still instantly put you in a trance. I put it on to listen to one song and paint, but I always end up just closing my eyes and smiling while I bum out my entire neighborhood by blasting it at 1am.


Scott Walker- 'Til the Band Comes In

Scott Walker has more music to slowly digest than juggalos have Faygo stains. If you're new to him, I would suggest starting with this album. Track 4 off this album has quickly become one of my favorite songs ever. Catchy, triumphant, but still obscure enough lyrically that I have no idea what the fuck he's so happy about. I love songs that instantly announce themselves as "hits" without the lyrics being too straight forward. Scott is the master of that. The rest of the album is great, but nothing compares to that one track "Thanks for Chicago Mr. Jones." 

 

Hayden Pedigo- Letting Go
One of the most pleasant and beautiful sounding records I've heard in years. Instrumental finger picking classical guitars with the occasional ambient synth textures in between.  Perfect sunny day type of feel to listen to while sliding off the highway into a ditch this winter. "Tints of Morning" is just simply perfect. I can never hear it without smiling like a little kid. Hayden Pedigo is the man. 


Loscil - Plume
This is probably the most listened to album of 2021 so far. I put it on to clean or read and it stays on loop for the entire night without ever wanting it to end. Peaceful, but complex background music, but not too much of either. I put each of these albums on as I was typing up these little paragraphs and I just spent 3 tracks completely zoned out. 

This album was very, very kind to my brain during chaotic times. 
 
 
 

Ok, 4 albums is fine for now. Now go buy me some more grapes and listen to these!


- Novak