Jan 23, 2017

Short Interview with an Even Shorter Friend

In case you're head is full of lincoln logs, Joe is one of the original writers of this blog. We both work together now, so there will probably post a bunch of shit on here. We have dramatically different musical tastes, but we both really like mint chocolate chip ice cream. 

What makes for an interesting interview for you personally?
I think an interesting interview has interesting and thought provoking questions. So, basically the opposite of what’s happening right now. 


Why can’t you get into Dinosaur JR? 
I can’t get into Dinosaur Jr. because I just think it’s melatonin. I want to like It, they seem appealing and interesting, but every time I put them on I just slip into a coma.

Any interest in starting your own podcast? 
Funny you mention that, I was just talking to Emma White about hosting a Black Market Podcast at her store once a week and was going to ask you for help.

What ever happened to you playing keyboards?
I still want to play keyboards, I plan on buying a KORG this Spring.


How important is production when you’re listening to albums?
I think it depends on the music and the style. All I look for in production, like vocals, is that it compliments and fits the music. If I’m listening to Anti-Cimex or a raw 80s punk band, I won’t criticize the production quality. Although, I have to say, there is an art to raw production and a fine line between raw sound and your band just sounding like your record was mixed by a deaf person.


I know you’ve never picked up an instrument yourself, but does “gear talk” ever appeal to you? 
I played bass as a kid and in the first incarnation of Severed Remains. No, gear talk irritates me. Bleed on the guitar if you want to impress me.


Do you have a go-to album to listen to when you’re bummed out?
That’s tough. If I’m depressed I or self-loathing I’ll go to Dopesick by Eyehategod but I really don’t recommend that lol. To be honest, while my mom was sick and dying I listened to “Secrets of the World” by Trapped Under Ice. That album is probably the most personal album ever to me and it always brings me out of a dark place.

 
Also, much cooler news than this bullshit interview:
Joe's band Grave Plague just released a demo. Check them out here
-Novak