May 29, 2014

Joe's Guilty Vinyl Pleasures Volume 1: Purple Rain




I don't really remember how "Purple Rain" came into my possession, all I know is that every time I put this record on I have a blast. Cool rhythm is all Prince is about and if you are able to sit still when this shit comes on you need to check your pulse or lay down on train tracks overnight and just give up. Combining the funkiness of Parliament with the soul of James and enough sexual innuendo to make Gene Simmons blush like a twelve year old girl, "Purple Rain" is a classic album through and through. This album had FOUR top ten singles on the ol' Billboard back in '85 ("When Doves Cry," "Let's Go Crazy," "Purple Rain," and "I Would Die for You"), an impressive accomplishment given the album's experimental nature. While some tracks are rather minimalistic musically (like the bassless "When Doves Cry"), others are full on rockers. A perfect combination of R&B, funk, pop, and rock, "Purple Rain" is maybe one of the best albums of the 80s.









- Joe