Feb 21, 2014

Albums of the Week

  HI

I have a few lengthy rants that have been in our drafts for 30 years now, so I'm just going to post something fairly quick. I've been in a dry spell lately with inspiration, but this week has opened up all kinds of weird gems to my hearing holes. I want something that's going to instantly take me by surprise, but is catchy enough to go back to relisten. These albums couldn't be a better example of that: 

 And So I Watch You From Afar- All Hail Bright Futures 
I heard this album about a week ago and it make my toes tap and my brain hurt. It was loud, catchy, and strange as fuck. I've got a lot of pedals that I fuck around with myself, but these guys not only utilize all the weirdness of effects, they write riffs that you find yourself humming for days. It's definitely not for everyone, but fuck those people.

Power Pill Fist
I actually just found these psychos last night while I was cleaning my room. They came up as a similar artist to someone else and I'm so glad it did. Imagine what music would sound like if an Atari took 20 hits of acid. It's good in such an awful way. The quality is 8 bit at best and it's just pulsating nonsense. I love finding bands like these that go backwards in the mainstream way. This isn't the sort of thing you can fake. 

The Meters- Funkify Your Life 
 This shit rules. I don't think there's a single person on this planet that wouldn't hear this album and be super into it. It's great for driving, cleaning, working, fucking, or anything else you do in your day. This is an absolutely no bullshit type of band. The production is fairly poor to focus more on simply what they're playing. This is a perfect example for me of something a "real" producer would have a nightmare over. It's almost all mid range frequencies, not really giving any color to any of the low or real high ends. The result is a raw and vintage sound that just rules. 

Listen to the track underneath and if you don't like it you can kick me in the balls and smash out my car windows. 
 


-Novak