Aug 26, 2013

The Real Reason Mainstrem Music Irritates Me: Why Was Kimbra's Vows Not Played Incessantly On American Radio?


This is my first, and perhaps last, post on here since I will probably get laughed off and deleted after Novak reads it.  I enjoy a wide array of music from classic psych to grind and frankly bubblegum pop.  The latter of which this entry is going to be geared at.

I remember a year or two ago Gotye had that incredibly overplayed song Somebody That I Used To Know.  I enjoyed the song until modern radio bludgeoned it into my brain pan.  Anyway, not to digress, the female vocalist on that track was Kimbra, an artist from New Zealand.  In 2011/2012 (depending on where you lived) her first Solo Album Vows was released.  To say that the album was anything but pop would be misleading and it did do quite well in Australia...I don't remember it actually happening here in the states with the exception of a few commentators.

Flash forward to today Lorde has a track (Royals) currently getting heavy radio rotation which sounds like a cheap knockoff of the inventive approach to pop that Kimbra exhibited on Vows.  How did both Gotye and Lorde manage to do better in the states than someone who has a far better command of the craft than either.

Here is the big single off the album.  Pop but on a songwriting level the style and execution are brilliant. The rest of the album is equally as well constructed.


As if the fact that she makes interesting music in a boring homogenized genre she apparently is actually a capable musician as well.


I'm just saying that if you have any interest in Pop executed properly go dig up this gem of a disc and give it a listen...or continue listening to Vaginal Discharge...doesn't matter to me.

-Nicky P