Jun 20, 2013

Zyanose- "Noise Philia (2005-2011)" (540 Records, 2012)




When I was fifteen my sister's dorky punk rock boyfriend Carson gave me a mixtape that contained Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Sham 69, Samhain, and other great bands. He also gave me a mailorder catalog for an upstart organization called punkstuff that contained a sampler with a Japanese band called Confuse, known the world over as the legendarily noisiest band on the planet. I listened to it, despised it, and years later (when I was obssessed with grindcore bands) literally tore my room apart trying to find that sampler which, to my chagrin, disappeared forever. Even now I hunt for Confuse bootlegs and await the fateful day when they decide to reunite and release new material. Until that day arrives, I will gladly jam the heirs to the noise throne, Zyanose. Zyanose have been cranking out their brand of dissonent punk / noise rock since 2005 and are now (rightfully so) gaining a lot of attention in the States with their shows on the East Coast last year and the release of the "Insane Noise Raid" LP and this semi-discography on 540 Records. Make no mistake or attempt to write these cats off, their attack is focused and carefully crafted. Slick basslines accompany a drummer who, for lack of a better term, wails alongside walls of feedback akin to Disclose. When tracks are injected with speed I'm reminded of the best of Gloom, Nightmare, and other classic Japanese bands and why that country's rockers just have something others only try to imitate. Perhaps the best quality of Zyanose is the best quality of most Japanese bands, there is a noticeable rock n' roll influence strategically placed in the music that keeps the tracks interesting and fun. One can almost imagine themselves in the dirty club, feel the discomfort of the feedback, smell the stale beer, and the desire to turn the amps down just enough to avoid injury.