Jun 1, 2013

I like clementines

I've been having a hard time finding new and interesting music lately. I've been doing a lot of painting and drawing, and any time I listen to anything with lyrics I tend to lose focus of what the hell I'm doing.. but anything instrumental I was listening to was just too fucking boring. It all sounded the same to me. One long delayed note, maybe a cheesy build up here and there to some piano lead.. I'm over it. These are some albums that have truly inspired me. Granted they're not albums you'd show your friends driving to Cedar Point, but really great records none the less. These are in no particular order what so ever.


This was an album I had heard years back and just recently rediscovered on my old computer. Again, not an album you'd want to show your friends at a cookout or anything, but an amazing one. These guys have a fairly large chunk of material out and it's all worth looking into if you're a weirdo. 


If there was any order to this, this band would absolutely be number 1. I couldn't decide which album to actually picture to represent them, but I landed on this EP. Highly, highly, highly recommend this album to anyone who has an attention span longer than 2 minutes and enjoys well written interesting music. This represents the perfect music for me to draw to. If I'm painting and the song is the exact same for 12 minutes, there's a good chance my painting will have the same strokes and the same colors throughout. When the song mutates and takes my imagination to different places, well.. you get the idea. Again, highly recommended stuff.

Accidentally stumbled onto these guys on Spotify somehow at work the other night. It was a related artist of one of the bands I was listening to and I completely fell in love. This is probably the most listenable out of the albums I just mentioned. I looked them up on Google to see if there were any "notable" members or relations and all I could find was a semi unprofessional few pages. A bandcamp, facebook, ect. It was clear they're not a big band of any sort yet, so I bought their record for $15 and it should be here this week. I've already shown a handful of friends this album and got them into it. 

This was a close call to my number 1 slot. Lots of stuff going on these tracks, yet somehow very catchy and simplistic overall sound. The track "knots" is over 30 minutes long. I know, I usually hate insanely long shit like that, too. What could POSSIBLY happen in 30 minutes? It's the coolest 30 minutes of your day, I'm willing to bet.

**Now I know the 2, MAYBE 3 people that read this are probably so bored of refreshing their facebook page every 30 seconds that they've read this and have zero if not less interest in anything I just said, but you should probably find a way to get these albums and listen to them. If you read this far, you are probably weirder than me. In which case.. tacos?

-Novak