Jun 19, 2013

Dub-scovery

I must admit, I'm not a fan of reggae at all. As a youth I blasted Poison Idea's anthem "Reggae (I Hate)" with friends like Woods at full volume and ranted about how the Rasta movement, despite being part of the broader diasporic revolutionary mindset of dispersed and oppressed people of color, was just another religion and mind fuck. Then, it happened, I found Augustus Pablo. Pablo is perhaps the best known "dub" reggae artists of all time. For those of you who aren't familiar with dub, it's the style of reggae that emphasizes drum and bass, is typically instrumental, and was the background music for the early 70s punk rock scene in England back when skins, rastas, punks, and weirdos all congregated in London's ugly clubs to do drugs and make noise. Pablo's music speaks to me and in a way that is delightfully indescribable. His organ playing beautifully accents the drumming and VERY smooth bass playing on every track. This music just puts me in a great mood, something that I truly welcome after a day at work and all of the stress that comes with "adulthood," or whatever the fuck that means. I don't think that I'll be worshipping at the altar of Haile Selassie I in the near future, but I think Augustus will be in rotation for quite some time. Enjoy, light up a spliff, and download if you like. Jah love!!