Apr 6, 2020

Album for Album - Part 4: Skylar

Moving right along here, we've got Skylar's pick for me here. So far, I've yet to see an album I've actually heard. Which of course isn't surprising considering the entire point of these posts is to expand on my complacent tastes.

   With my sleep schedule being so messed up, I'm currently sitting down for my breakfast/dinner at 5:30am. I tossed this on while I prepared the meal. I noticed I had to keep turning it up. Not because the mix was quieter than the other music I've been listening to, because it was so fucking good. The album bounces around styles, but in a strangely cohesive way. Tracks like "2010" are a rapid paced, electronic timelapse type feel, when the track right after is a slowed down, ambient track that makes you feel like you're on the ocean floor. There's a strange confidence to the way this whole album plays, without it being cocky. Intellectually emotional material that made me wiggle my hips while cooking and stare into space and almost burn my food.

   I feel like this album will be one of the top revisited albums that friends have brought to my attention. I haven't had a chance yet to look backwards/forwards into any of the recommended bands, but this will be one of the first I do that with. Thank you again to Skylar for bringing this to my attention!

4/5

I'm recommending The Bad Plus: Never Stop 



-Novak