Jun 1, 2017

2017 So Far..

I didn't realize so many great music had come out this year. I know it always sounds a bit snobby to say shit like this, but it's rare for me to be sucked into albums that came out in the current year. This year wasn't dog shit! Here are some albums that came out in 2017 that don't suck. 

Wire- Silver/Lead
I think I've slowly realized that I'm not really the biggest Wire fan. Just like the intro paragraph to this post says, none of these album "suck" but this one definitely didn't do much for me. The drums always kill it for me. They make the entire album sound like a really cheesy demo tape to me. The guitar tones for Wire have always been something that caught my ear. Glad to see that still being the case.

Ty Segull- Self Titled 
Another important album for you all to listen to by Ty Segull. Steve Albini hops on board to produce this eclectic record. I feel like this album took a lot out of Ty emotionally. It's not necessarily an overly emotional album and maybe it's just the powerful production, but it seems to have a consistent unique energy his previous releases didn't have. 

Mew- Visuals
I have actually yet to listen to this album yet! It's been a while since I've heard a new Mew album. They're usually the perfect blend of catchy and tight with a rock solid production.

Thurston Moore- Rock n Roll Consciousness 
This album is fucking incredible. I listened to it all the way through about 5 times in a row when I first heard it. It has the matured, more stripped down era of Sonic Youth to it (especially Murray Street) but still has an element of it's own. The big difference on this record is the mix of the drums. They're so full, so deep. That is what made this album go up a few notches in my book. Very impressed with this release. 

Slovedive- Self Titled 
As previously reviewed on here, this album was a very pleasant surprise. I had no idea this band still wrote new material. For all I know, fans have known this for years. Well I didn't, which made it 10x cooler to me. Incredible album from an incredible band. 



Now other than these releases, Queens of the Stone Age are supposed to release a new album along with Nine Inch Nails. Those will get their own respective posts when they're released. Until then, go suck a table leg.

-Novak