Apr 22, 2016

Can: Tago Mago

Can- Tago Mago
 I'm sure I've posted about this album before, but probably not in depth. This might trigger an entirely different post but I can't see it being posted any time super soon. I want to post something about bands that I personally consider to be a classic. Bands you know like the back of your hand. Bands that you looked into and sent you off into what felt like an unlimited branch off into subgenres and beyond. 

Can was undoubtedly one of these bands.

This was the first album I heard from Can. This album specifically was a bit different even for Can. It was their first with singer Kenji "Damo" Suzuki. Some of the tracks off this album were improvised jams played while the producer was fixing issues, kept and then sliced together for the record. There's a general sense of independence between instruments, while all maintaining the same groove. I get a very vivid visual of these guys playing this music live. 

The production on this and most of their albums is a somewhat "thin" and clean sound compared to other krautrock bands of their time. The clarity of each individual instrument is outstanding. Regardless of how obscure some of their jams can be, the production never lets you lose focus of what's being played.

I quite honestly didn't get into these guys when I first heard them back around 2009 when a band mate at the time showed them to me. He showed me the Tago Mago album, but my ears just didn't accept it. I don't really know when I went back to re-listen exactly, but I'm really glad I did.
One of my favorite things on this album are the drummer, Jaki Liebezeit. The drums are so fucking tasteful. They never take your focus off the melody but they're always doing something interesting and groovy. The way most of their albums are produced makes his snare snappy, super warm toms, his kick is crunchy but full, and his cymbals dark but sharp. 

If you haven't heard of these iconic freaks, do your ears a favor and check them out. Start with this album and work your way around their chunky discography.




-Novak