Jul 17, 2014

Top 3 Favorite Songs

Hi. This was originally a top 5 but after 3 songs it can usually change with the weather. In case you've been living in Stupidville, you should probably get to know these songs. 

#1
Arist:Autolux
Album: Future Perfect
Song: Plantlife
This was an inarguable number one for me. Musically, nothing comes close to this song. With the amazing production aside, this song is fucking perfect. It starts off slow and hypnotic and then gets weird and groovy towards the end. This has been my album and band for almost ten years now and I don't see that changing any time soon. The entire album is flawless. I've been on an Isis kick as of late, but I played this song as I was posting it and now I'm sucked into Future Perfect for what will probably be the entire day. 

"It's a violent way we have, even when we smile." 

#2
Artist: Nine Inch Nails
Album: The Fragile 
Song: The Fragile
The lyrics to this song mean more to me than any silly blog post will explain. A loner is trying to help a special girl whose head is falling apart while his head is falling apart in the process.. definitely been there. Not only is it a damn good song, but I get the goosebumps each and every time I hear this song because there just simply isn't another song out there that I connect more with lyrically. It's always like he found an old journal entry of mine and wrote a song to it. I actually secretly get slightly uncomfortable if this song is on with other people around because of how much it means to me. 

 "We'll find the perfect place to go where we can run and hide.
I'll build a wall and we can keep them on the other side." 

#3 
Artist: Brian Eno
Album: Before and After Science
Song: By This River 
This is one that would make the most sense to Brian Eno fans. Coming out in a time when he was writing his most cinematic sounding pieces, this song is bare bones compared to his other material. It always reminds me of having a lot of heavy, stressful conversations and thoughts about what the fuck we're doing on this planet, only this song makes the entire concept of that question seem so beautiful.  I'm always reminded of the many restless nights spent at a secret spot by the lake with headphones, completely losing my mind over thoughts like these. 

"You and I, underneath a sky that's ever falling down" 


-Novak