May 13, 2014

10 Irreplaecable Albums

House flood? Ex-girlfriend sell all your shit for shit? Don't worry dorks, I've got you covered! I'm sure it would be hard to replace every CD and record if my house exploded, but these would be the first 10 albums I'd go out and replace. 


Brian Eno- Here Come the Warm Jets 
This is one of my all time favorite albums. Eno's very first solo album and he fucking nailed it. There are sounds on this record that sound like they were made last week with digital processors, but were engineered back in 74. I actually have a fairly extensive post in the drafts on here about Eno. There are plenty of bands with extensive discographys, but it's always hit or miss. With Brian Eno, it's always hit and this was the start of it all. 

Talking Heads- Remain in Light 
This is one of my favorite sounding records, for an entirely different reason than other albums. It's so crisp and clean sounding, without losing any layers what so ever. Catchy, weird, but still well written songs! Woods fucking hates the Talking Heads, but he is also hates cats so what does he know? 

David Bowie- Low 
Perfect album. I may have heard this album from start to finish 10,302,291 times by now. It's made all types of blog posts from me before for most listened to albums, top 10 albums, etc. If you haven't listened to this, you should glue your foot in your ass. This would be one of the first three albums I'd replace if my studio blew up. 

Tool- Lateralus 
Much like Remain in Light, this is (for different reasons) also one of my favorite sounding records. The drums are fucking PERFECT. They're huge, but mixed well. Crisp, but all kinds of low end. Any time I think I have a good mix for a band, I refer to this album and feel like I'm back at square one. It sounds so good it pisses me off. 

The Clash- London Calling 
One of the most important albums of all time. This is a no bullshit album. It sounds ok production wise, but the songs are so fucking timeless that it could've been recorded on a cell phone and I'd still love it. It was my first taste of music that spoke against something while making your toes tap. 

Autolux- Future Perfect 
Forever my all time favorite album. The guitars on this album are amaaaazing. I always reference this albums for guitar and bass tones. It has an amazing atmosphere that suck me in every single time. Perfect from front to back. 

Pixies- Doolittle 
I know this list is comprised of go-to albums that I feel everyone should know like the back of their hands, but I really can't stress enough how important this album is to music. The Pixies are one of the most underrated bands in the world. 

The Hives- Vena Vidi Vicious  
This is hands down one of the most energetic active rock n' roll bands of my generation. From the first to very last song, it's a constant grand finale. I think most people discredit this band because they're so radio friendly, but go on youtube and watch a live video from any of their shows and it will all make sense. 

My Bloody Valentine- Loveless 
If you made a list and this wasn't on there, we aren't friends. One of the most important albums of the 90's. I could just imagine the conversations that must have gone on mixing this album (which took over two years) because everything is "wrong" by typical standards. There are walls of guitars, sweeping noise throughout all of the melodies, and the vocals act almost as another instrument rather than a focal point. It's important for albums like these to be released because it doesn't just break all the rules, it makes you cum. 

Nine Inch Nails- The Fragile 
You didn't really think I can make an essential list without having Nails on it, did you? It wasn't a hard decision which record to pick because this has always been my favorite. Although honestly I haven't given it as many listens the last few years as I did the last.. 10 years straight? One of the few albums that can INSTANTLY suck me into vivid places in my head. 10/10


If you don't have these albums, you should be ashamed. Get off facebook, pause your video game, kiss a pickle, and go buy these!!



-Novak