Jul 1, 2013

Oakhelm





Growing up in Mayfield Heights I was surrounded by metal kids and played in a death metal band called Severed Remains. There were no hardcore or punk kids in school, so most of my friends listened to melodic death metal, black metal, and viking metal. Over the years my musical influences took different directions, but I still love a great metal band and recognize something special when I hear it. Recently I was introduced to Oakhelm, a Portland band featuring members from such prominent hardcore / punk / grind acts as Assuck and Fall of the Bastards. I'm not going to lie, I thought this band would be a joke, I was further from the truth than I ever imagined. Oakhelm play a very serious form of melodic death / viking metal with strong influences from black metal as well. Imagine Amon Amarth in a fist fight with Enslaved before being tackled to the ground by Unleashed. These guys are the real deal. The songs are melodic but retain enough blasting fury to keep even the most hardened metal purist entertained and the lengthy songs manuever craftfully in enough directions to keep the listener interested throughout. Having released only two records (2007's "Betiwxt and Between" and 2011's "Echtra"), Oakhelm has enough material to introduce new fans to the band before they release more fantastic material. "Echtra" contains a bit more of a black metal influence, but both records are full of melodic anthems that are reminiscent of the best of early In Flames and Dark Tranquility.


Currently playing shows on the West Coast, I have been told that Oakhelm is interested in venturing East in the coming year and I for one cannot wait to see these guys live. I encourage anyone interested in metal to check this hard working band out by seeing a show or buying one or both of their equally impressive records. Slick production, fantastic guitarwork, and interesting song structures will knock your socks off and make you a believer in this up and coming band. If this band continues to release material of this strength I forsee nothing but promise in their future and it will be well deserved. Cheers!




 -Joe