Jun 24, 2013

Samothrace- "Reverence Turned to Stone" (20 Buck Spin, 2012)





There aren't many bands that get me excited to the point that I want to run out of the house waiving the disc around in the air yelling at people to check it out. I've done that once, it only loses friends and gets you nearly hit by oncoming traffic. If I could get away with it though, I may do that with "Reverence Turned to Stone," a record by doom metal outfit Samothrace that made me an instant fan and purchaser of all of their material which, luckily for me, is only one other LP. An impressive and nearly perfect combination of every Asunder-tinged meloncholic harmony, Neurosis progression and tribal influenced drum beat, and Cult of Luna-esque heaviness , "Reverence...." has something for just about everyone and is one of the smoothest listens I have come across in quite some time. Nothing seems forced, everything pours from the mix naturally and beautifully as if it has been doing so since before you came across it, beckoning you to be reminded of something primitive and paradoxically simple in its complexity. If you're a purist who is skeptical of introducing melody into your doom shake, take heed and open your mind to this offering. This band has tapped into something truly special and they are on the brink of sharing their material with more people than even they are expecting. Truly amazing shit kids, jam it.

9/10