Apr 15, 2012

Interviews with Joe Reed

Here's one a little more close to home. Just when you thought all Joe did was awkwardly fix his shirt and glasses, apparently he actually puts some thought behind this whole musical circus act we're all involved with. Joe's a great guy and a great writer. We've both inspired one another in big ways.



Here's a bunch of bullshit I asked him and his pussy farting responses. I've yet to read his answers because, well... for the same reason none of you will:


Why are you a singer, not a guitar player or drummer? you've been in the field long enough to pick one of them up.
Joe: I really think that the instrument you play is an extension of your personality. When I was younger I used to write poetry and keep a journal, more for personal reasons than creative ones, being in a band allowed me to express and articulate those emotions productively. Although I did play bass (rather poorly I might add) for a while, I couldn't see myself playing an instrument in a band, I talk too fucking much.

What inspires you to write angry music?
Joe: That’s an interesting question, I don’t consider our music (or hardcore music generally) “angry” at all, I consider it positive and aware of the fact that the world and society isn’t always a pleasant place. Although inspired my many negative emotions and experiences, the lyrics celebrate overcoming obstacles and learning to cope with the harsh realities of life, bottom line.

Have you ever written a love song?
Joe: Paul Bearer (singer of Sheer Terror) had a great quote when asked a similar question. “Most of the songs I wrote were either love songs or love gone wrong songs, these idiots just decided to beat the hell out of each other to them,” I love that quote. Personally, I think that love (and the trials and tribulations of love) inspires me greatly and definitely influences me lyrically. I may not be singing about love like R Kelly or Marvin Gaye, but I haven’t been laid as much as those guys.

Are there any projects or songs you felt were too personal to perform in front of an audience?
Joe: I’ve never felt uncomfortable sharing anything I’ve done creatively in front of anyone, thankfully I’ve surrounded myself over the years with enough creative and encouraging people.

Why the 6 year gap in between your last stage performance?
Joe: I guess I’ve been waiting for the right project with the right musicians. Bands are often compared to relationships, you’re often thrown into one when you least expect it. It’s not like I took a break from music because I was in college or doing other things and didn’t have the time or desire, I just needed to hook up with the right people at the right time, Guilt Trip was an unexpected and welcomed surprise.

you've written about some pretty tough times. did singing them help you?
Joe: Performing and singing about my life’s trajectory certainly helps me cope with some of the unpleasant events that have shaped my present. “We Rise” was inspired primarily by the deaths of my mother and friend Ryan Helton, as well as the self-destruction of other close friends. I think about them every time we play that song, it definitely helps.

Where do you see yourself going with music? realistically
Joe: I’ve never had a plan with any of my bands, there’s no clear agenda. I’m not a career musician, I play in a band. Having to punch in a time clock to play in a band and work 9-5 every day to “make it” would make me miserable, that’s not what I do this for. I am willing and open to seeing where Guilt Trip’s music takes me, and I hope our music is good enough to allow me to perform in front of as many people as possible.

Who were your favorite musicians to work with and why?
Joe: Matt Novak, Ben Rubin, and Mike Milia are the best people I’ve ever worked with in bands. Each of them has that “it” factor, the kind of evil genius gene that allows for levels of creativity that most humans simply don’t possess. Perhaps, because I don’t play an instrument, I’m appalled by how easily some people can be so talented instrumentally.

What inspires you?
Joe: What doesn’t inspire me? Life generally is inspiring, as cliché as that sounds. What I’ve experienced, the experiences of my friends, what I’ve studied, who I’ve loved, who has died, where I’m from, etc. All of these elements inspire Guilt Trip. Guilt Trip is not about my perspective, it’s about perspectives. I try to write from both my perspective and the perspective of others and I encourage others to bring their own perspective to what we do.

Sooo.. cortney shot kurt, right?
Joe: Kurt Cobain killed himself, anyone who can’t face that reality didn’t pay attention to a thing the dude said. I think I’d feel less of a connection to Kurt I find out he was murdered. Not that he’s a “martyr,” but his life and action spoke volumes about life, the music industry, etc. I think I connect so powerfully to his life’s trajectory that I wouldn’t want it changed, but I understand why fans want to believe otherwise, they just want him around and refuse to believe that he didn’t really care about being anyone’s hero.

What's more important, lyrical content or delivery?
Joe: Lyrical content and delivery complement one another and one suffer if the other is neglected.

Why are you so fucking short?
Joe: I didn’t eat my vegetables as a kid, go fucking figure.

Does your father support your homosexuality?
Joe: Although I’m not a homosexual, why did you ask particularly about my father? Perhaps your essentialist interpretations of masculinity and oedipal understanding of familial structure make homosexuality difficult to understand, moron.

0n a scale of 1-10, how much do you crave penith?
Joe: I don’t know what a penith is.

Favorite singer
Joe: I can’t choose a favorite but favorites include Henry Rollins, Jello Biafra, Howlin’ Wolf, Lemmy, Buddah from Blood for Blood, and Chuck D from Public Enemy. I like singers and artists with distinguishable and recognizable deliveries.

Favorite lyricist
Joe: Again, that’s really a difficult question to answer. Honestly, currently I think Justice Tripp from Trapped Under Ice is my favorite lyricist, I connect more with that band lyrically than any band currently playing.

Favorite performer
Joe: Iggy Pop is the greatest rock and roll performer ever.

In a BRIEF summary, summarize the cleveland music scene
Joe: Cleveland is continuing its tradition of having hard working, honest, loud, obnoxious, and (unfortunately) overlooked bands. Although I wish more bands would interact and play more with each other rather than compartmentalizing themselves according to “scene,” we have a lot of bands here that are creative and impressive.

Have you ever thought about doing something other than hardcore bands? if so, what?
Joe: I’ve been moonlighting as a kazoo player for this band Lucy, I’d like that to be a regular gig if the hardcore thing doesn’t work out.

Does artwork or photography play any role in your creative process?
Joe: I love photographic art and Baroque era artwork, but I’d be lying if I said it inspired Guilt Trip more than Hennessey, moshing, and Pantera.

What's missing in the music scene?
Joe: No one looks anyone in the eye anymore, everyone has a smart phone.




-Novak