Jan 16, 2011

Loveless




Soundscape : Sequence of sounds shaped to enhance action and mood in a drama.

When I first thought about what albums I'd like to review, My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" was the first to come to mind.....and then I realized trying to describe it's sound (or sounds) is no easy task.  I looked into some other reviews of this record, to see how other people described this sonic, dissonant masterpiece - all I found was a bunch of 10 paragraph bullshit reviews from people who seemingly spent too much time looking up big words to make their depictions seem more acceptable, more vivid....they weren't.  Fuck you.  Kevin Shields and Bilinda Butcher perfectly craft this landmark album with warm, fuzzed out guitars, walls of noise, all harmonizing while the vocals act as another instrument, rather than just words.  Simply put, it's noisy yet harmonic, loud but not aggressive, and has a depth that few records achieve. 


- Woods