Jan 11, 2011

Color- Electritibe


The project was called Color. The album is Electritibe. A one man band, Josiah Schlater put together a very inspiring record in March, 2010.

I heard this album the day it was released. I was looking into creative ways to release my first album digitially. At first, the website is what drew me in. Thought it was called "electritube" at first. The site isn't active anymore, but it was the above picture-only it was a music player for the album. Then I heard the music and it just about knocked my dick right off my balls. The songs took me in a different dramatic direction entirely. Some tracks started off a bit corny and then opened up sounds that made it sound like the apartment I was living in at the time was one big stereo. Not in the sense of it being heavy, or even aggressive, just a clash of sounds and chords that were just perfect together. Very epic, visual music. It was only released physically as a vinyl, which were limited.

So I started to dig a bit deeper with it. Turns out Josiah is (was) involved with a label out of Portland, distributing this and a handful of other artists material in unique ways. Establising smaller acts into a circle and have a collaborative approach to creating and presenting music to everyone they could. Oh yeah, and they're a non profit label.

Overall, a very refreshing and inspiring experience. Some tracks are haunting but the album has a very beautiful atmosphere throughout. It was good to see such hard work on both sides of this project pay off so well. I know you're busy and all, but take a minute to sit down and listen to this album at least once. If you like it, find a way to support it. Releases and ideas like this are a treat.

-Novak